Recipe to Kerela Masala:) (Bitter gourd)
- 5 Kerelas\Bitter Gourd
- 1 Small finely chopped Onion
- 2 Green Chilis
- 1/4th tsp of Cumin seeds\Jeera
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- Pinch of Red Chili (as per taste)
- 1/4th tsp Salt
- 1-2 Tbsp of Coriander powder
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1/4th tsp Amchur\Mango powder
Note: Have some additional Turmeric powder, Salt and oil set aside for marinating the Kerala.
1. Wash the Kerelas thoroughly
2. Slice Kerelas into thin circular discs, and mix in some oil, salt and turmeric. Set it aside for 15-20 minutes. This helps cutting down the bitterness of Kerela
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a wok and stir in cumin seeds, ginger-garlic paste along with green chilis for 1-2 minutes
4. Now add onions and saute until it turns golden brown
5. Add sliced Kerela to the wok, and let it cook for 15-20 minutes by stirring it
6. Now add Turmeric powder, Red Chili powder, Amchur, Salt, Lime juice and give it a good mix. Let it cook for another 10 minutes.
7. Once the Kerela is soft and cooked, add the Coriander powder and mix it well into it
Note: More lime juice can added as per taste.